I have to admit, I had heard so much about jackfruit and have been eager to try it for some time now but just never found the right moment. But as with anything you cook, there is no “right” time – you just have to go for it. I am so glad I did because this recipe is super easy and super delicious. So much so, I ordered a further few tins of jackfruit on the online shop – making sure I keep some in the cupboards at all times.
I wasn’t really sure how I wanted to eat it in all honesty, I wanted something that was easy, tasty and fun! I decided to use a base recipe that I found and compliment it with my homemade salsa and create tortilla wraps with them.
First things first, what is jackfruit?
A relative of figs and breadfruit, jackfruit grows in tropical areas of Southeast Asia, Brazil and Africa. While it is technically a fruit, its consistency is similar to that of chicken or pork. It has a fairly neutral taste when young, so it takes on the flavor of whatever sauce or seasoning you pair it with. It has a stringy consistency that works especially well with tangy barbecue sauce to make a vegan BBQ pulled ‘pork’ sandwich.
Unlike animal sources of protein, jackfruit contains no saturated fat or cholesterol, it’s light in sodium, and is also low in calories, with just 20 per a 2.65-ounce serving. Additionally, jackfruit contains 3 grams of fiber per serving, as well as 110 milligrams of potassium, heart-healthy nutrients that many of us are not getting enough of.
How to Make the Spicy BBQ Pulled Jackfruit
I used this recipe from MoreVeganBlog
What You Will Need
- 3-20 oz. cans jackfruit in water or brine NOT in syrup.
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1½ tsp. liquid smoke – I didn’t use this
- 1 cup vegan vegetable broth
- ½ cup vegan BBQ sauce (your favorite store-bought or homemade kind)
- Buns for pulled pork sandwiches or corn tortillas for gluten-free pulled jackfruit tacos – I used tortilla
How To Make
- Preheat the over to 400 degrees / 200 degrees Celsius
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit, remove the core and cut each piece in half. As you do this, remove the seeds. The seeds of the canned jackfruit are soft and won’t hurt anything if you leave them in, but they throw the texture off a bit.
- Saute the onion in olive oil over medium heat for about 7 minutes or until translucent, then add the garlic and saute a minute or so longer.
- Add the jackfruit, sugar, spices, and liquid smoke. Stir until the jackfruit is evenly covered.
- Add the vegetable broth, cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
- Use a spatula to mash and divide the jackfruit until it looks similar in appearance to pulled pork.
- Spread the jackfruit out on a baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cover with bbq sauce.
- Return the jackfruit to the oven and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until the jackfruit is lightly browned.
I have combined this with my homemade salsa in a wrap which worked perfectly and tasted divine!