There’s always that one dish that you could eat ongoing for a long as possible isn’t there? The one dish you’ll never get sick of and the one dish that you crave for in times of comfort.
I have been eating chickpea, courgette and aubergine casserole for as long as I can remember. I was really lucky to be bought up on such healthy foods by my mum and grandma. Practically all of my family love to cook. My grandad used to be head chef at Harvey Nichols and my mum’s side of the family are all huge food lovers.
So with my Italian and Lebanese roots, I was bound to be a foodie right? I love cooking and I love making easy, wholesome, and tasty dishes, especially for my girls. They are really good eaters, we’ve had the odd fussy moments here and there but this is one dish I know they never say no too. In fact, they lick their bowls clean and always ask for more.
Chickpea, Courgette and Aubergine Casserole
To Make This Dish You Will Need:
- 1 x brown onion
- 3 x cloves of garlic
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas or used dried but ensure you soak overnight (drained)
- 1 x 400g tin of plum tomatoes
- 2 x courgettes (cut into large chunks)
- 1 x aubergine (cut into large chunks)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
- 1 tsp of Sacla free from tomato pesto
- 1 tbsp Rapeseed oil
- Brown Rice: 104 g per person
- In a large pan (I use a 24″ Le Creuset pot) brown off the onion and garlic in rapeseed oil
- Add the aubergine and courgette and cook until brown – you may need to add a little water to the pan to avoid burning
- Add the plum tomatoes and Sacla, keep on a high heat for around 5 minutes and until ingredients are brought to the boil
- Turn to a low heat and now add the cumin and seasoning
- Simmer for 5 minutes and add the drained chickpeas
- Whilst this is cooking on a very low heat, bring to the boil a pan of water and cook rice. Brown rice takes much longer than white.
The rice and casserole should cook for around 25-30 minutes. But check the rice after 20 minutes to ensure it’s not overcooking.
Serve the casserole on a bed of rice and enjoy.
Thank you for stopping by and I hope you enjoy this recipe. Please check out my other easy and tasty vegan recipes for more amazing eats to try.